Selective Mutism (SM) is an Anxiety Disorder*, whereby:
- the child speaks happily and freely in some situations, but not in others
- the inability to speak in certain situations is limiting learning or social functioning,
- the varied speech pattern has been apparent for a month or more
Children suffering from SM change their level of communication depending on the environment and the people present. As a result, social comfort and communication will change dependent on environment, setting and persons involved or present.
*(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual-5; APA 2013)
I visit the family directly in their own home as this enables the child to feel more relaxed.
My approach is to provide families with structured, individualized, step-by-step treatment. This will involve looking at all the various stages of social communication and mapping the speaking habits for a child with Selective Mutism.
A complete evaluation is provided consisting of:
- Parent and teacher assessment forms
- Parent and child interviews
- Evaluation and understanding of which stage the child is at during particular social encounters.
Read more on my blog
Children with Selective Mutism find it hard to answer questions and at Christmas time everyone is prone to ask more
Why You Should Encourage Art & Musical Expression in Your Child or Student with Selective Mutism? Success in art and