This is used for children whose speech is not clear. Comprehensive assessment for speech and sound typically includes
- case history;
- oral mechanism examination;
- speech sound assessment (single-word testing and connected speech sampling), including
- speech perception;
- spoken-language testing, including
- receptive and expressive language assessment,
- phonological processing;
- literacy assessment.
Assessment may result in
- diagnosis of a speech sound disorder,
- description of the characteristics and severity of the disorder,
- recommendations for intervention targets,
- identification of factors that might contribute to the speech sound disorder,
- diagnosis of a spoken language (listening and speaking) disorder,
- referral to other professionals as needed.