Specialist Speech & Language Therapist for children
My name is Anna Biavati-Smith, I am a private Specialist Speech and Language Therapist based in Edinburgh. I graduated from Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh as a Speech & Language Therapist in 2002 and also completed an MSc in Science of Education in 1996.
I am a mum of two fantastic children, who never fail to teach me something new. My relationship with my children forms the basis of my therapeutic relationship. I am also bilingual in English and Italian, with a working knowledge of Spanish and French, so that I can help also in bilingualism approach.
Working for 13 years for the NHS, managing a speech and language therapy clinic, I worked with many children and their families. I started my independent practice in the Edinburgh area in 2014, enjoying helping children with a range of speech, language and communication needs.
My technical skills
I have delivered therapy for children across a variety of settings including community clinics, hospitals, schools and nurseries, as well as managing case loads as part of a multi-disciplinary paediatric team.
I am a mobile therapist and I offer home visits as I believe that children are more relaxed in their own home, as well as finding it easier to transfer skills learnt during therapy.
I have extensive experience of providing staff group training on Speech and Language development to organisations, schools, nurseries and other healthcare professionals.
"Everyone should be able to reach their communication potential"
Professional Registration & Membership
Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists (RCSLT)
Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Association of Speech & Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP)
Educational & Research Background
Board member and co-founder of Selective Mutism National C.E.N. (Clinical Excellence Networks). I am dedicated to ongoing professional development and a member of a number of other CENs. I am committed to using up-to-date research and evidence based clinical advice and has effectively supported many parents during my career, providing immediate reassurance.
Specialist Training & Additional Certification
• Post graduate course in “Working with Selective Mutism”
• Curriculum approaches in Child Care and Education
• Promoting Positive behaviour in Children
• Providing Play Experiences for the Child
• Signalong Foundation Course Phase 1
• Assessment and Management of children with developmental disorders of literacy
• Derbyshire Language Scheme
• Screening and intervention with young or late developing children
• Introduction to Counselling Skills
• Sentence Processing and Colourful Semantics
• Play boxes
• Trained NLP Practitioner (Neuro Linguistic Programming)
• Emotion Talk Training
• Evaluating and Managing complex phonological disorders cases
• Introduction to CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
I cannot rate Anna highly enough. She has worked with us and our boy, aged 9, who suffers with Selective Mutism, an anxiety related condition which prevents him from speaking socially and at school. She has spent time with him and supported us and the school with strategies that have resulted in a boy who